Over the years carbohydrates have gotten a bad reputation. People often associate them with weight gain, type 2 diabetes, and a variety of other health conditions.
Yes, it is true that processed foods high in sugar and refined grains typically lack important vitamins and minerals. However, many nutrient-dense, fiber-rich foods can be very good for you.
While low carb diets can be beneficial for some people, there’s no reason to avoid high carb foods altogether. Here are 10 high carb foods that are incredibly healthy:
- Quinoa is highly nutritious and may help improve blood sugar management and support heart health. Quinoa is also high in protein and fiber, so it may be useful for weight loss, as both of these nutrients can help keep you feeling full for longer.
- Oats contain many beneficial nutrients, including fiber and protein. Studies have also shown that eating oats lowers blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Bananas are high in potassium, a mineral that play a key role in regulating blood pressure. Less ripe bananas also contain resistant starch and pectin, both of which can improve digestive health.
4. Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, along with several other vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
- Beets are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds. They also contain high amounts of inorganic nitrates, which can improve heart health and boost physical performance.
- Oranges are a good source of fiber. They also contain high amounts of Vitamin C and other healthy plant compounds. Eating oranges may benefit heart health and increase iron absorption to help prevent anemia.
- Blueberries contain many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and help protect against oxidative damage.
- Grapefruit contains many beneficial vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It may provide numerous health benefits.
- Apples contain a decent amount of Vitamin C, antioxidants, and plant compounds. Eating apples may improve blood sugar management, as well as reduce the risk of heart disease and potentially even certain types of cancer.
- Chickpeas are excellent source of plant-based protein and contain many vitamins and minerals. Eating chickpeas has been linked to benefits of heart and digestive health, as well as potential cancer prevention.
The bottom line is that it is a myth that all carbs unhealthy. In fact, many of the healthiest foods are high in carbohydrates. That said, you shouldn’t eat carbs in large amounts if you are on a low carb diet. In addition, refined carbs such as white break and pasta, may be unhealthy in high amounts.