This weeknight slow cooker lentil soup makes the perfect lazy weeknight dinner. This is a hearty vegetarian soup loaded with two types of lentils, sweet potatoes, and veggies!
CROCK POT LENTIL SOUP
There’s nothing better than enjoying cozy soups when the weather starts to get cold out! This Slow Cooker (or crockpot) Lentil Soup Recipe is a great healthy and hearty recipe that can be eaten as a main dish, an appetizer, or for lunch. This recipe is naturally vegetarian and vegan friendly, and gluten-free.
I use this slow cooker to make this recipe, but it can also be made in a regular pot or an instant pot.
- Onion/Garlic: you can’t make a soup without these! Any onion and fresh garlic will work.
- Sweet potato: The sweetness and flavor of sweet potato add to this lentil soup. If you prefer white potato, you can substitute it with russet potato.
- Carrot: try cutting the carrot into rounds rather than small pieces in this soup. It will give the soup more texture.
- Celery: celery helps to add flavor to the soup.
- Green lentils: make sure to use dried green lentils. You can also substitute with black lentils.
- Red lentils: use dried red lentils too. Make sure to rinse the red lentils before adding them to the soup; red lentils can be bitter if they aren’t rinsed.
- Vegetable broth: we recommend a low-sodium broth so you can control the saltiness of the soup
- Bay leaves: dried or fresh, both work here.
- Herbs de Provence/ Dried Herbs: This is a herb blend made with a variety of different dried herbs. It’s very earthy and tastes delicious with lentils!
- Kale: this gets added in at the end for extra nutrients. You can also use spinach if you prefer.
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large sweet potato peel and cut into cubes
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 cup dried green lentils rinsed
- 1 cup dried red lentils rinsed
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup kale leaves shredded
- Heat the avocado oil in a pan on medium-high heat then add the onion and let cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and let cook another 2 minutes, then pour the onions & garlic into the slow cooker.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients, except for the kale to the slow cooker. There should be enough liquid to completely cover all the vegetables. (If there’s not, add some more broth)
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- 15 minutes before serving, add in the kale & remove the bay leaves.
- Taste and adjust any seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley if desired.