BLACK BEAN & QUINOA TACOS
One skillet tacos that are perfect for a quick weeknight dinner! Served with a dairy-free cilantro yogurt sauce.
Black Bean Quinoa Tacos are the perfect weeknight dinner. The quinoa and beans are cooked in the same skillet with taco seasoning, red onion and jalapeño. They are served in warm tortillas with a dairy-free cilantro yogurt dressing, shredded cabbage, avocado, radish slices and pickled onions. Healthy, easy and delicious!
HOW TO MAKE THE FILLING:
The best part about this recipe is that the filling is made in one skillet – hello, easy dishes! Start out by sautéing red onion and jalapeño in a little bit of oil. Once they get tender add in rinsed quinoa, a can of black beans, taco seasoning and broth. Bring it to a boil, cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, check to make sure all of the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through. If the quinoa is still a little crunchy, add a splash of liquid and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
HOW TO MAKE THE DAIRY-FREE YOGURT DRESSING:
Add everything to a food processor and blend until smooth. Give it a taste and adjust seasonings if needed. You can also throw in a jalapeño if you want some kick!
This dressing is especially good if you like your dressings tangy. The yogurt adds some tang along with the fresh lime juice. And you get plenty of bright, fresh flavors from the green onion, cilantro and garlic.
ASSEMBLE THE TACOS:
Alright, everything is cooked, now let’s assemble. Heat the tortillas over an open flame (or in a skillet) and then layer it up – shredded cabbage, quinoa/beans, avocado, pickled onions, radish slices and the yogurt dressing.
Serve with more cilantro and lime wedges on the side. You can also add some hot sauce if you like your tacos spicy.
These tacos are incredibly filling and the leftovers are just as good the next day. You can also use the leftovers to make a taco bowl if you feel like switching things up!
Black Bean & Quinoa Tacos
For the Quinoa & Black Beans
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1 Jalapeno diced
- 3/4 cup Dry Quinoa
- 1 15 oz. can Black Beans drained & rinsed
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Broth or Water
For the Yogurt Dressing
- 4 oz Non-Dairy Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves Peeled
- 2 Limes juiced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Tacos
- 12 Tortillas flour, corn, or almond flour based on dietary preferance
- 1/2 Head Green Cabbage shredded
- 2 Avocados sliced
- Radishes sliced
- Pickled Onions to taste
- Lime Wedges
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly tender. Rinse the quinoa and add to the skillet with the black beans, taco seasoning and broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. *
- Meanwhile, add all the dressing ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Set aside
- Heat the tortillas and assemble the tacos. Layer each tortilla with shredded cabbage, quinoa/beans, avocado, and toppings (radish slices & pickled onions). Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle on some extra cilantro. Serve with lime wedges on the side.