Chicken fajitas are an easy and flavorful weeknight meal. A classic Mexican recipe, juicy chicken is seasoned, seared and cooked to perfection, then tossed with sauteed bell peppers and onions. A squeeze of fresh lime adds a punch of flavor and the chicken fajitas are served with warm tortillas and toppings. You can’t beat this healthy family favorite recipe.
CHICKEN FAJITAS INGREDIENTS:
Don’t you just love meals that only require a few basic ingredients? Well this chicken fajita recipe is just that. All you need is chicken, bell pepper, onion, lime juice and spices, plus tortillas and your favorite toppings. It’s incredibly easy.
While you can buy pre-made seasoning packets, I’d caution against it. Nothing compares to the flavor of homemade fajita seasoning and it’s easy to whip up. Plus, you’ll avoid any unnecessary fillers and additives. Here’s a quick rundown of the spices you’ll need:
- Chili Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic Powder
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN FAJITAS:
Once you’ve made your fajita seasoning, the chicken fajitas come together fast. Just follow these simple steps:
- Season the chicken. Generously sprinkle the fajita seasoning on both sides of the chicken and use your fingers to press it in.
- Cook the chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and lightly coat it with a drizzle of olive oil or avocado oil. Sear the chicken breasts for about 7-8 minutes on each side. Then remove them from the pan and let them rest for a few minutes before slicing into strips.
- Saute the bell peppers and onion. While the chicken is cooking, cut the bell peppers and onions into thin slices. Then saute them in the same skillet over medium heat for a few minutes until caramelized. You’re essentially making fajita veggies.
- Mix together. Add the chicken back into the skillet, squeeze fresh lime juice on top and stir everything together.
- Wrap it up. Serve immediately with tortillas and extra toppings.
- 3 Chicken Breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 3 Bell Peppers thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Lime
- 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp Ground Cummin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- pico de gallo
- Add the fajitas seasoning ingredients to a small mixing bowl and stir together.
- Generously sprinkle the fajita seasoning on both sides of the chicken and use your fingers to press it into the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sear the chicken breasts for about 7-8 minutes on each side
- While your chicken is cooking, cut the bell peppers and onion into thin slices.
- Once the chicken has finished cooking, remove it to a plate and let it rest for a couple of minutes. Add the bell peppers and onion to the same skillet over medium heat and saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the bell peppers are just about done sauteing, slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet, add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and stir everything together.
- Serve immediately with tortillas and extra toppings such as sour cream, pico de gallo and guacamole.