Green juice is a refreshing and healthy way to enjoy all sorts of nutrients from fruits and vegetables year round. And it’s easy to make at home!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST GREEN JUICE:
The most important tip for great juice is to buy the freshest and most fragrant ingredients you can find. Hit up your local farmer’s market or high-quality grocery store and choose your produce carefully. Once you bring everything home, here’s how to juice your fruits and vegetables:
- Wash your ingredients really well (no need to dry) and chop them, skin and all, into 2-inch chunks.
- Toss your cucumber and celery into a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Add your remaining ingredients and blend until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. You can also use a nut milk bag.
- Chill until nice and cold, pour into a glass and enjoy!
TIPS TO KEEP IN MIND:
- This juice is best enjoyed right after you blend and strain it, though you can keep it in the fridge overnight.
- As the juice sits, you’ll notice that it will start to separate. But don’t worry, just give it a good stir before you drink it.
- You may notice your juice turning a bit brown – that’s because the apples oxidize. But it’s totally fine to still drink.
CUSTOMIZE YOUR JUICE:
Use our recipe as a starting point and experiment with different ingredients based on what looks good at the grocery along with your own preferences:
- Add lots of greens. Look for high-quality fresh greens that are firm and bright in color, not wilted or spotted. I used dino kale here, but other kale varieties or chard work well for blending. If you like romaine lettuce or collards, try those too! A blend of a few greens will give your juice a more complex flavor.
- Stick with a healthy liquid base. Use vegetables like celery and cucumber to provide moisture in your juice blend. Or if you prefer, use coconut water. It’s best not to add lots of fruit or fruit juice so you can keep the amount of sugar down.
- Add some herbs. Parsley and cilantro add an interesting herbal note to your green juice. If you like a stronger parsley flavor, use flat-leaf parsley. Curly parsley is much milder.
- Boost with superfoods. Try adding ground turmeric, cinnamon, maca powder, or bee pollen to amp up nutrition.
- 1 Cucumber sliced
- 3 stalks Celery sliced
- 3 Kale Leaves removed from stem
- 1 cup Baby Spinach loosely packed
- 1 piece Fresh Ginger
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Apples cored & sliced
- Place all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender.
- Blend until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. If you need to, use your tamper to push the ingredients into the blades of your blender.
- Pour the green juice through a fine-mesh strainer. Press on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the solids.