ROASTED SWEET POTATO TACOS
These Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos with refried beans are colourful, protein-packed and taste incredible. Plus, they’re really easy to make.
One of our favorite things about this recipe is just how simple it is. Once the fillings are assembled there’s really very little to do. It’s a nice family recipe too as everyone can pitch in and make their own (though be prepared for the mess!).
One thing to note here: we strongly recommend using refried beans and not regular as they are already seasoned. If you use regular beans your tacos will taste a lot plainer. Feel free to use any type of refried beans though, as it doesn’t really matter which you use.
TACO MAKING TIPS:
1) Always wrap your corn tortillas in a towel once heated and while you’re waiting to use them! This will keep them soft and pliable, and avoid them becoming tough and brittle.
2) Prepare all your fillings ahead of time (even the sweet potatoes – it doesn’t matter if they cool a little), so the last thing you do is heat your tortillas. Doing this last means they’ll have minimal time to cool down and get tough.
3) Don’t overfill your tacos! Tempting as it is to cram loads of EVERY ingredient into each one, always put in less filling than you think you need. Your mouth and hands will thank you and your taco will be much easier to eat!
Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos
For Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large Sweet Potatos cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Sea Salt to Taste
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
For The Tacos
- 8 Corn Tortillas soft; or tortilla of preference (I like almond flour)
- 1 1/4 cups Refried Beans heated
- 2/3 cup Salsa
- 2/3 cup Vegan Cheese optional
- 1/2 cup Red Cabbage Sauerkraut or just thinly slice red cabbage
- 1/2 cup Sweetcorn Kernels cooked
- Cilantro Leaves chopped
- Lime Wedges
To Make Roasted Sweet Potato
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in the coconut oil and chili powder and spread across a large baking tray. Season to taste with sea salt.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, flipping once midway through. When cooked, removed from the oven and set aside.
- Prepare all filling ingredients as described above.
- Heat each corn tortilla as per package instructions (usually: add 1 tsp water to a hot skillet and add your tortilla to it immediately. Heat for approx. 15 seconds per side, then wrap in a towel to keep warm and flexible).
- Fill each tortilla with the sweet potato, refried beans, salsa, vegan cheese (if using), sauerkraut, avocado and sweetcorn. Sprinkle over the chopped cilantro.
- Drizzle lime juice over just before serving and enjoy!