SPINACH & ARTICHOKE CHICKEN SKILLET
This spinach artichoke chicken skillet is made with tender seared chicken breast, covered in a creamy, dairy-free spinach and artichoke sauce. It’s an easy, low carb, 30 minute weeknight dinner for all the spinach artichoke dip lovers! Paleo, Whole30, & Keto too!
If you’re a spinach artichoke dip lover, this healthy spinach artichoke chicken will be your new obsession!
Not only does it have healthier ingredients than traditional spinach and artichoke dip, but it only takes less than 30 minutes to make.
Traditional spinach and artichoke recipes contain all types of different cheeses, sour cream, and mayonnaise. However, this recipe is dairy free because most of our audience (including me) doesn’t tolerate dairy.
We used coconut milk to replace the dairy in this recipe, and if you want a ‘cheesy’ flavor feel free to add nutritional yeast.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast- buy pasture-raised, organic chicken. It’s honestly hard finding this at the grocery stores, unless you have access to a Whole Foods, or another health grocer. I recommend finding a local farmer to provide you with pasture-raised chicken, or ordering online at ButcherBox.
- Chicken broth– I recommend buying organic chicken broth. You could also use organic bone broth. I love the Thrive Market brand, Kettle and Fire, or Bare Bones.
- Coconut milk– Make sure to buy coconut milk, and not coconut cream. I love the Thrive Market brand, Thai Kitchen or Native Forest.
- Arrowroot starch/flour- I use Bob’s Red Mill arrowroot starch. You could also use tapioca flour to thicken the sauce, or leave it out if you want a more runny sauce.
- Quartered artichoke hearts– canned artichoke hearts are pretty expensive, so choose wisely! I recommend buying quartered artichoke hearts, but you could also buy regular artichoke hearts and chop them up further.
- Spinach– buy organic spinach as it is highly sprayed with pesticides. Spinach is on the EWG dirty dozen list. You could also use kale with this recipe, but it may take longer to wilt in the skillet.
Spinach & Artichoke Chicken Skillet
For the chicken breast:
- 4 small-medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 2 large halved
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
For the creamy sauce
- 1 tbsp ghee or olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 13.5-oz can unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 14-oz can quartered artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 2 cups spinach packed
- red pepper flakes to garnish
- Wash skillet out to remove brown bits. In the same skillet, over medium heat, melt ghee. Add garlic and onions, and sauté over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, lemon juice, arrowroot, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Whisk together. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens. Reduce heat to low. Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach. Return the chicken to the skillet, and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with red pepper flakes. Serve hot.