ZUCCHINI TACO BOATS
Taco stuffed zucchini boats are a healthy, veggie-forward, Mexican-inspired meal. They’re light and fresh yet surprisingly filling. You’ll definitely go back for seconds on this recipe!
They’re a great way to enjoy your favorite authentic taco flavors, but wrapped up in a healthy, vegetable container – fresh zucchini! And while I’m using ground beef today, you could also use any of those previously mentioned meats. So have fun with the recipe!
You’re swapping tortillas for crisp zucchini (it’s super easy). But other than that, you can top these zucchini boats with your favorite taco toppings. Here’s what I used:
- Zucchini: try to grab large zucchini that are about the same size so you’ve got room for plenty of filling!
- Ground beef: I’m using 90% ground beef (which usually means I don’t have to drain fat from the pan), but you can use your favorite beef-to-fat percentage.
- Taco Seasoning: There’s no comparison when it comes to the homemade taco seasoning. Fresh is best!
- Taco Toppings: I’m using sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, avocado, and cilantro.
Zucchini Taco Boats
- 4 large Zucchini
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 3 Green Onion thinly sliced
- 2 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 1 Avocado thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Fresh Cilantro
- 1 Lime to squeeze on top
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add the ground beef. Use your spatula to break up the beef. Add the spices, stir to combine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until browned.
- While the ground beef is cooking, slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the insides.
- Place the zucchini on a parchment-lined baking tray and fill with the ground beef. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes in the oven, or until the tops are browned and the zucchini is slightly softened.
- Remove the stuffed zucchini from the oven and drizzle with sour cream, a sprinkle of diced tomatoes and green onions, a few slices of avocado,some fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.